Friday, May 10, 2013

Welcome to my new blog, where you can learn about my project to turn obsolete library card catalog cards into miniature works of art!  I love art, books, theater and vintage, so you'll also find discussions about those topics here.

You can find my shop where I sell my library card art at https://www.etsy.com/shop/WingedWorld

I have been rescuing library cards for more than a year now.  The titles, authors and subjects are so diverse on these old cards that I may never run out of ideas for new paintings.



Here are some steps along the way that show my process.  First, just a tiny sampling of the more than 1,000 cards now in my collection:



The next step is choosing imagery, drawing it on in pencil, then painting the card, being careful not to cover over key words like titles and author names:



The finished product — a card with the classic children's literature character Winnie-the-Pooh, plus his friend Rabbit:


2 comments:

  1. Great to see your process of selecting library cards & painting just the right images! Such a creative idea. I get 'wow!' comments all the time for my collection of your library+art cards....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some of your cards/paintings framed and hanging over my desk at the McMinnville Public Library. They are so cute! I framed some of the tiny reproductions and gave them to my coworkers for valentines day. Obviously they were a big hit with all of the librarians. :)

    ReplyDelete