Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Who's afraid of a 60-year-old library card?

Me.  I've had a library card catalog card for “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe” in my collection for more than a year, but I just recently worked up the courage to paint it.  I was nervous about messing up this card, which dates from the early 1950s.  Clues to its age are the “c1950” text type-written on the card by a librarian, as well as the red lines, which only appear on 1950s cards in my collection.  Since “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe” was first published in 1950, this card was likely for the first edition of the now-classic book.


I decided to go with a classic black-and-white illustration style and paint Aslan the lion on the card.  Here's the painting in progress.  I'm always careful to avoid painting over key words on the card, like the author and title, but this time I also wanted to make sure the date still showed.

And here's the finished painting.  You can find prints of the painted card in my Etsy shop at:

No comments:

Post a Comment